1st Sampler - In Honor of GG

Today would have been my GG's 97th birthday.  In honor of that, I thought I would post about the quilt I made her over 10 years ago.

GG's quilt 2 crop
 
GG's Chicken Quilt


This quilt was a blast to put together. It was my first attempt at a WHOLE quilt, and I made it as part of a course. I knew I wanted to make a quilt for my Great-Grandma, since she is the one who introduced me to quilting. And when I found these fabrics I couldn't pass it up! My Great-Grandma (GG) has collected chicken things as long as I can remember. Chicken paintings, trinkets, knick-knacks, salt & pepper shakers, magnets, etc. So the chicken fabric practically jumped off the shelf at me.

GG's quilt back detail 2

GREAT chicken fabric!!

I think the fabric line (set) was called the Tuscan collection.



This is called a Sampler Quilt, lap size (almost as big as a twin blanket). It's a 'sample' of different types of blocks and each one is different. Every block has a name. Each finished block is a 12-inch square. I'll highlight each block.


Jacob's Ladder

Top Row, 1st Block from the left: Jacob's Ladder


Card Trick

Top Row, Middle block: Card Trick


54-40 or Fight

Top Row, 3rd Block: 54-40 or Fight


Pinwheel

2nd Row, 1st Block: Pinwheel


Hen & Chick

2nd Row, 2nd Block: Hen & Chick

hand applique & embroidery


Wheels

2nd Row, 3rd Block: Wheels


Tulip Wreath variation

3rd Row, 1st Block: Tulip Wreath Variation

hand applique


Monkey Wrench

3rd Row, 2nd Block: Monkey Wrench


Dresden plate

3rd Row, 3rd Block: Dresden Plate

hand applique


Random 4-Patch

4th Row, 1st Block: Random 4-Patch

(it might have a real name, but I can't find it and don't remember it now...)


Windmill

4th Row, 2nd Block: Windmill


Mexican Star

4th Row, 3rd Block: Mexican Star


GG's quilt back crop

The BACK of the quilt, with label on bottom right corner


I mentioned the hand applique blocks because they require extremely detailed work and I wanted to give them special notice.

My favorite block is the Hen & Chick. I had given them names when I was working on them, but can't remember them now. This block became the focal point for the whole quilt - I built around that block. Not sure how much detail you can see - but their feet and beaks were embroidered with a regular sewing machine, and they are hand-quilted all the way around so they sorta puff up out of the block. LOVE it!

In order to set off the blocks from each other, I used sashes with 4-patch setting blocks. The 4-patch blocks were just cute and added more color, but not as 'busy' as when I tried a single fabric. I learned so much doing this quilt about 11 years ago. It's still one of my all-time favorites!

My GG was thrilled when I gave it to her. She loved it so much that she had it hanging on a quilt rack beside her bed.  She said she didn't want to use it so it didn't get wrecked, but she LOVED to look at it!

The quilt was sent back to me after GG passed away in August last year.  Today, I will finally open the box and look at it again.  I'm sad that I have it back again because it means GG is gone from this Earth.  But the quilt is a treasure, and I am glad that I got it back.

In honor of GG, I hope that you enjoy looking at this quilt.  I will enjoy seeing it again, even if it's through a few tears.

3 comments:

Krista April 14, 2011 at 7:38 PM  

Holy Moses, this quilt rocks! It's gorgeous. I love that you named the hen and chick. I bet you spent a ton of time with them, so it only makes sense that you knew their names. =D

What a wonderful gift to your GG. She must have been so touched by the time. thought, and love that went into making this.

sandy petals June 18, 2011 at 4:43 PM  

This is fabulous! I love chickens too.

Buy domain name November 4, 2011 at 3:09 AM  

What a wonderful decorations and designs? I like it very much. Keep on doing...

The Creations

I love making beautiful things, and my usual method of creation is quilting. I have on display here some of my projects, every one of them as unique as the individual who received it. Enjoy browsing! If you see something you like, for yourself or for a gift, let me know. And please tell your friends, too! The more the merrier!